We have the honour to have an interview with the incredible band from UMK 2022, from Finland. Check it out:
The band was set up in 2016 by Susanna Alexandra, Niila Perkkiö, Leevi Erkkilä and Pietari Reijonen. So far they have released two albums and gained a solid base of listeners around the world. In their music Cyan Kicks combines different genres into their own distinctive style of modern rock.
- Our music is a bold combination of different elements with a unique, distinctive sound. One song may be completely electronic, while the next one is true hard rock, but, at the end of the day, our music has a distinctive Cyan Kicks sound, says Susanna Alexandra.
The UMK song Hurricane is a perfect example of this. The song is mainly electronic but introduces harder rock elements with guitar solos in the chorus.
Amaranthe’s vocalist Elize Ryd as one of the songwriters
Hurricane is a cowrite between the Cyan Kicks songwriters Niila and Susanna and Elize Ryd, the singer of the Swedish-Danish metal band Amaranthe. The band and Elize met last summer and talked about working together. They hit the studio soon after and immediately were on the same page about the music and the theme of the co-write.
- When we got to the studio, Elize asked what we wanted to write. For a long time, we had wanted to write a song that conveys our willpower to push forward as a band and as individuals. It was the exact same theme that Elize had already been thinking about, singer Susanna says.
As a source of inspiration, Elize drew on her experience of suffering from Lyme disease.
- Being able to write music again after everything that I had gone through was important to me. That’s why this song will always have a special meaning for me, Elize Ryd says.
The song is about overcoming fears and about the courage to be who you are and to do things you want to do.
- The outcome was an energetic song that is powerful in many ways.
International production team and voices of fans
Hurricane was produced by the US musician-producer Chris Walla, who is known from the band Death Cab for Cutie and from the film scores he writes. The song was mixed by one of today’s busiest and most in-demand music industry talents, Zakk Cervini (Bring Me The Horizon, Halsey, Limp Bizkit).
Cyan Kicks’ UMK song also includes the voices of fans. The group shouting the “shut up” and “give up” lines of the chorus consists of a dozen fans selected from among the band’s social media followers.
- Shouting in rhythm with even a small group like that is not as easy as you might think. Everything went great regardless, the band says.
Will rock be the ticket to Italy?
Finland is known for its world-class hard rock, and the recent years have shown that even in a typically pop-dominated song contest, rock can also bring success.
- Rock is by no means a new phenomenon and it is mainstream music, even though it has not always been front and centre in the media. We want to do our part to ensure that rock gets the centre stage even more, the band says.
The UMK winner and Finland’s next Eurovision Song Contest entrant will be chosen in the UMK22 event at Logomo in Turku on 26 February 2022. The final will be broadcast live on Yle TV1, Yle Areena and on Yle’s radio channels from 9–11 pm. The winner will be chosen jointly by viewers and an international UMK jury. Votes can be cast with the Yle.fi app (no charge) or by phone or via SMS.
Susanna Alexandra – vocals, guitar
Niila Perkkiö – guitar
Leevi Erkkilä – bass Pietari Reijonen – drums
Instagram: @cyankicks #cyankicks
*all the informations are from Taija Holm, the PR of Cyan Kicks